Sunday, November 24, 2013

Mumbo Gumbo -ish

Have you ever made something that just did not do it for you, but the rest of the world just loves it?  Well, this little quilt follows that same story line.  I attended a charity quilt event where some gals in a bee were creating blocks for a bunch of mumbo gumbo quilts.  Mumbo Gumbo is a great scrap busting quilt, and is very forgiving. Here is the link to purchase the pattern:  http://www.pieintheskyquilts.com/mumbogumbo.html.  So, being a gal with a HUGE bag of scraps, I decided to follow the same concept as Mumbo Gumbo and create some blocks.  I cut strips of my scraps, and made half square triangle squares out of larger pieces.  I sewed and sewed and sewed.  The way I sewed this was joining strips into one long piece, and put the HST squares under the strip on my sewing machine, and chain sewed until I ran put of squares. Then I pressed seams open, cut strips between the squares, and repeated the process as I sewed the next side.  Then repeat.  Then repeat.  Then repeat.  I learned much too late that I made way too many HST squares and as a result I ran out of strips before I was able to create even one largish block.

OK, this project had to be set aside until I created more scraps.  Fast forward to completed blocks.  I trimmed the blocks into squares, joined them, and created the quilt top.  At this point I laid out this tedious quilt top and my husband came into my sewing room and commented (unsolicited) how much he like the quilt.  Then my 17 year old daughter came in and admired it as well.  Mind you, I had created really cute quilts prior to this -just scroll thru the blog... -which rarely got unsolicited praise from my husband.  Anyway, I finished the quilt and used scraps for the back.  I made bias binding from the rainbow striped fabric (OK, that part I LOVE).  It turned out well.  Who knows, I may make another one - I have a jillion small blocks waiting for new scraps to be added.







No comments: