Sunday, November 24, 2013

Sweet Quilt

Again, a stash search yielded another lovely charm pack - I don't even remember buying most of these...  I created half square triangles, and sewed four of them into a square.  For some reason I am drawn to a white background - could it be the impracticality of a white quilt...  Anyway, once I finished the front I went to my local quilt shop - Quilt Emporium - to find a great backing fabric.  I searched for yardage of the un-named fabrics, thinking I would use the teal fabric.  But, thriftiness led me to the sale rack and I found this neat green fabric.  I thought it added some quaintness to the quilt, and at 1/2 price, I can save money and buy more charm packs.

I went to a class on machine quilting at the International Quilt Festival.  I learned quite a bit.  I also learned that I am not that good at drawing.  Lastly I learned there is a world of difference between quilting on the super-duper amazing longarms supplied at the festival and the rinky-dink eBay DIY short-arm that I created using various sources.  Having demolished a quilt top thinking my long-arm skills would transfer, I opted to stitch in the ditch on this one.  These straight(ish) lines worked well on my machine, and the frame did a great job holding my sandwich together well.

To complete the quilt,  I first watched a video on bias binding.  All in all, it turned out pretty well.


No comments: