Saturday, September 7, 2013

Baby Quilt

I am a Fons and Porter addict. I watch their Love of Quilting show every Saturday morning. Recently they featured a baby quilt similar to this one. I am not one to follow directions, rather I like to see something I like and try to re-create it by winging it. This method is not always successful, but this time, I think it did. I like the way the colors show up against the white background. I also liked how easy the colorful strips were to make - I had a Moda charm pack and cut each charm in half to create this. I sewed the pieces to a paper foundation. F and P created a scalloped edge around this quilt, and made creating and sewing a scalloped border look easy to sew. It was much easier for them than it was for me. I even re-watched the episode as I labored through the process. I worked diligently over a few days creating the well spaced scallops around the quilt. I slowly added the bias binding around the scallops. Once the first part of sewing the bias tape on was done, I did not like how messy it looked. I ended up ripping off the bias tape, cutting the scallops off, and binding it nice and rectangular. Much better. I did create the bias tape from 1/2 a yard of fabric. I followed the instructions on youtube. It was very easy! I plan to make my own bias type from now on. I show a picture of the back of the quilt as well. I planned to add little bits of color to the back. Serendipitously I did not have enough white fabric, so it was a happy accident. I am pleased with how well this quilt turned out.

No comments: