Sunday, September 22, 2013

Houston Modern Quilt Guild Swap Freebies - Small Quilt

My pal, Grace and I had the pleasure of attending our first meeting of the Greater Houston Modern Quilt Guild. What a great group of women. They are very talented and so warm and welcoming - like a cozy quilt! After the business portion of the meeting they held show and tell. One gal made a pair of pillow shams - with the Hugs Before Kisses quilt pattern. The next gal shared her quilt and low and behold, it was the same pattern - and together it was a gift for a member who got married last week. How sweet is that? Anyway, I was intrigued and inspired by the many show and tell quilts. They closed out their meeting with a garage sale/swap. This being our first meeting, Grace and I had nothing to give. A few of the gals allowed us to take a few items - I took some binding, a few fabric pieces, and 3- 2 1/2" strips. I had much guilt taking without giving, but was assured by the donor that it was ok. Well, that guilt led me to make sure that I made something with my freebies. I immediately came home, found a coordinating fabric for the strips, and made a small quilt - a good size for a tiny baby or a pet. Here is a picture of it. This inspired me to have some sort of swap that included 3-4 strips, a couple of fat quarters and instructions to "create!" It would be fun to see the variety of items people came up with. Hmmmm...

No comments: